Monday, June 7, 2010

Book Review - LITTLE BLUE TRUCK

Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
Ages: Newborn-6

My mom got this book for the Little Librarian Dude's 2nd birthday. She gave it to him early and we only read it a few times before packing it up to move across the country. That was over a month ago. This week, I unpacked it and he was soooo excited! "My blue truck book!" "Read it please, Mama!" How could I resist. Especially when the book is as cute as this one!

The little blue truck is a friendly little guy, greeting all the barnyard animals with a "Beep! Beep!" as he passes. But, then it begins to rain and a big, grumpy dump truck comes tearing down the road claiming he is too important to greet the animals. When the dump truck gets stuck in the mud, the animals refust to help him, but along comes Little Blue. When he can't get the dump truck out of the mud on his own, the animals come to his rescue and the dump truck learns "a lot depends on a helping hand from a few good friends."

I have so much to say about this adorable little book, but I'll try to contain my comments. The book is filled with a symphony of animal and truck sounds. The text is happy and bouncy (kind of like the truck) and rhyme-y (so not a word). And Jill McElmurry's illustrations, oh my heck, so cute. They look like something out of the 50's, painted, kinda folksy. Love them! Both the Little Librarian Dude and Little Lady Librarian commented on the cute animals (the LLD loves the frog, the LLL prefers the pig). What I love most, of course, is the message. It's simple enough that I can discuss it with the LLD -- why it's important to be nice. The LLL and I talked a little more about serving others and the way it makes us and those around us feel. Who knew a little board book could spark such deep discussion?! What's even better is that the message is delivered by animals, a truck and a dump truck -- only the LLD's favorite things!

Read this book! It's adorable. Go. Right now. Get it. It's a great one to add to your book collection when your little ones are wee little newborns because, I promise, it will still be on their bookshelves when they're toddlers and preschoolers. I love it when you find a book that you love and, more importantly, that your kids love so much they sleep with it. I only wish I had discovered it sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment