Thursday, May 27, 2010

Book Review - BURGER BOY

The Little Lady Librarian is a big kid. At least that's what she tells me. She's four now and four makes her big. And four-year-olds certainly don't need naps or quiet time. So, while the Little Librarian Dude (who will be two tomorrow, and definitely not a big kid) naps, the LLL and I attack our new stack of library books.

First up, Burger Boy by Alan Durant.
Ages: Pre-K - 2nd Grade

I'll be honest, I didn't have high hopes for this book. I'll admit, I judged it by it's cover. But, I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually really cute. Burger Boy is the cautionary tale of Benny who will only eat burgers. His mom warns, "If you don't watch out, you'll turn into a burger one day." And he does. The book follows him as he has a run-in with a pack of dogs, a herd of cows, a hungry group of boys and a greedy burger shop owner. His mother saves him by stuffing him full of veggies, which help him morph back into a boy. But as a result, veggies become the only foods Benny will eat. Again, his mother warns him and, well, you can guess what happens next.

This book is simple and sweet. It moves fast and had the LLL giggling at the end. I don't have picky eaters, but I know them and I really think this could be a great book for those kids who will only eat chicken nuggest, or green beans, or rice... okay, okay, I'm talking about my best friend's son (and the LLL's future husband... haha). But you know kids like that, you may even have kids like that. The story could very well help those picky kids understand, in a humorous way, just why it's so important to eat a balanced diet. Heck, it could be a good tool to help introduce balanced eating to any child. Just an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment