Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Fave -- FIREBEARS THE RESCUE TEAM

In honor of The Little Librarian Dude' 2nd birthday today, our very first Friday Fave will feature his very favorite book: Firebears the Rescue Team by Rhonda Gowler Greene.

Before I begin, can I just say that I am schocked that the Little Dude is already two?! Really, where did the time go? Two is a full-fledged toddler, he's not a baby anymore. When I see him run and jump and talk and annoy his sister I am just in awe of how quickly he got to that point. I guess all moms feel that way. I think I'm having a harder time with the whole "growing up" thing this time around. With The Little Lady Librarian (my first) I was just always so excited for her to get to the next phase -- rolling, crawling, talking, walking. But with my little guy, it's just different. Maybe because I've been through it before. Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love the excitement that each stage brings. Every day is an adventure with the Little Dude, it just seems like he wasn't a baby very long.

Firebears the Rescue Team by Rhonda Gowler Greene
Ages: Infant-Early Elem. School

Alright, now that I have that out of my system, on to the book. I got "Firebears" about a year ago at a Scholastic Book Sale. The first week we had this book the LLD and I read it together ATLEAST 20 times (not to mention he read it a handful of times with Daddy). After that, it was his go-to bedtime book. Now we read it about once a week, but he always has it nearby. And I don't even THINK of traveling without it!

The firebears are relaxing around Fire Station Number Eight when the alarm rings. They thrown on their fire gear and they're off, racing through town "sirens wailing up and down." From saving a cat in a tree, to putting out a store-fire, to rescuing a mother and her baby from a house fire, the firebears are always "Racing, rushing to the scene. Fire bears the rescue team!" After a busy day of hero work, the firebears return to Fire Station Number Eight.

The little dude loves any and all things with wheels and an engine, but especially firetrucks. His eyes light up when he sees the engine speed through town, carrying the brave firebears! I love how involved he gets in the book, adding his own siren sound effects, shouting "HOORAY!" when the firebears rescue the puppy and telling them "night night" at the very end. The story is rhythmic and holds his attention to the very last word. As for the illustrations, I read they're "rendered oils on illustration board," I'm not an artist and definitely don't claim to know much about various illustration methods, but here's what I do know: they're darn cute! The animals in the book have very exxaggerated noses and teeny little eyes. Each page is full of fun little details, yet still clean and simple enough to not overwhelm the LLD.

This is a must read for all Little Librarian Dudes!! For my age recommendation, I suggested Infant-Kindergarten. I really think the rhythm of the story and colorful pictures make it a wonderful book to read with to even the littlest librarians, yet the story is still age-appropriate for a kindergartener learning to read on his own, or even a 2nd grader taking a field trip to a fire station.

No comments:

Post a Comment