Thursday, May 27, 2010

Check Out What We Checked Out -- 5/27/10

We've been in our new town for less than two weeks and the woman in the children's book section of the library already knows my kids by name. She chatted with the Little Lady Librarian about her finds for the day, and with the Little Libriarian Dude about his upcoming 2nd birthday. They left with a bag full of books and two big smiles. What more could you ask for?

Here's what we checked out:

The kids are dino-obsessed these days. Okay, let's be honest -- THIS YEAR! Each library trip must include some dinosaur book. But since this is my very first blog, you don't know that. But you mark my words, you'll see. Dino books. Every. Week. I'm not complaining, I love that they're so interested in learning about them and it brings me back to the 2nd grade when my friends and I would spend our recesses digging for dinosaur fossils next to the seesaw. But, that's a story for another day. Or another blog.

Okay, really, here we go...

Three-Horn: The Adventure of Triceratops by Michael Dahl
Thomas-saurus Rex by Rev. W. Audry (I should add that the LLD also loves trains)
Burger Boy by Alan Durant
The Good Little Bad Little Pig by Margaret Wise Brown
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (we own this one, but since our belongings are on a moving truck we checked it out)
Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly by Jane O'Connor
Better Homes and Gardens New Junior Garden Book
Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinksy
The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (The LLL looooves chapter books. She couldn't resist the tiara on the front. This will be her first chapter book without pictures, so I'm anxious to see how she does!)
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett

A few notes:

We own The Very Hungry Caterpillar. But, all of our belongings are currently somewhere int he U.S. on a moving truck. The Little Librarian Dude loves it so much he insisted we check it out.

The Princess Diaries may be a little advanced for the Little Lady Librarian, being that she's only four. But, she loves chapter books. I mean loves them. She sits through them, and she really takes them in. Ask her her favorite chapter book and she'll say "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Ask her the plot of the book and she'll give it to you... in full detail. We'll see how she does with this one. It's the first we'll have read without pictures, but she couldn't resist the tiara on the front. I'm anxious to see how she likes it.

As for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I'm doing what I should have done months ago and finally reading this one to my kids. I broke one of my long-standing rules and watched the movie before reading the book (to them. I've loved it since childhood). The movie was cute, but I'm just kicking myself in the tail for not just running to the library and checking it out before the movie. Darn.

So, here's how we'll do this... I think. As we read a book, we'll review it (we being myself, the LLL and the LLD). It's always nice to have a mom's opinion about a book, but sometimes I think it's even better to have a child's.

Please, leave comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Alright, off to turn some pages with my Little Librarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment